Bleisure: Business+ leisure. Many studies show that this trend is growing in popularity. And you, do you bleisure? It’s easy to make your business trip a successful bleisure trip. For that, follow these 10 best tips from women who share their experiences.
1. Get organized before you leave
There’s a Gauguin exhibition at the MOMA in New York, and there’s a 4-hour queue to get into the museum. It’s better to reserve beforehand to be sure to get tickets, good seats for shows, or the best table in the restaurant that everyone’s talking about.
2. The « leisure » part happens once the « business » mission is over
A business trip is a break from office routine, and you have to know how to handle that. I remember one hotel offered a tour of Pompeii. Looking at my itinerary, I had the time to do it. So I went. But when I got back to my room, I didn’t feel like working on my files anymore. Never again.
3. Don’t play the adventuress
Even if it is the first time that you are in Peru, it’s necessary to avoid a paragliding jump from the top of Machu Picchu. There is always a risk of breaking a leg.
4. Pack appropriate clothing
It’s better to plan in advance for what to wear for visiting sacred sites, or to be comfortable sitting in a tuk-tuk. My advice: bring a small backpack instead of your handbag.
5. Prioritize Relaxation
I avoid restaurants on the other side of town that are far away, I spend too much time in cabs, and it’s stressful.
6. Include colleagues in your activities
It allows you to share cab fares, rent a car, go out at night, and not get bored. Some people love to be alone, I don’t.
7. Stay reachable
Don’t start a digital detox. Two days, not three weeks, off to get away from it all. An emergency can come up at your office.
8. Meet locals
« I’m often on business trips in Africa. I contact foreigners’ associations, I look for the French restaurant in town. But above all, I go to the hairdresser. In two hours, I have the best overview of the country’s problems.
9. Invite family members to join you
Why not! But once they’re here, make sure to book activities for them to keep them busy while you’re working!
10. Combine business with pleasure
I don’t have always a lot of time when I prolong my stay . It is mostly a short period. But three hours are enough for a real change. And sometimes, instead of a visit to a castle, I prefer to take a cooking class. Or a flamenco class. I feel all the effects of the change of routine. And it is so good»
Other Things Good to Keep in Mind
Every company has its own rules about extensions after a business trip. Do the following to make sure everything goes smoothly:
- Notify the right people on your team
- Manage your expense reports. During the « leisure » part, all the expenses should be paid out of pocket (usually)
- Be sure the returning flight on another date will not be an additional expense for the company
- Stay reasonable. 15 days of vacation will probably be refused. On the other hand, if for example the mission ends on a Wednesday, negotiate Thursday and Friday as remote working and stay the weekend
Enjoy your Bleisure trip!